Checkout our video on How to Anchor and Disengage a Capstan Winch for Cable Hauling
Part 1. Anchoring a Capstan Winch for Cable Hauling
1. Position the capstan winch onto solid level surface free from debris within close proximity to the work site and reverse the vehicle within easy reach behind the capstan winch.
2. Insert the ‘A’ frame into the sleeve on the capstan winch frame and secure with the locking pin. Place the secured ‘A’ frame over the vehicle tow ball.
3. If necessary use a block of wood to raise the capstan winch to connect with the vehicle tow ball.
4. Test the anchoring by firmly pulling the handles on the capstan winch frame away from the vehicle. The capstan winch is anchored.
5. Complete the capstan winch set up including operator safety screen, before commencing cable hauling.
Part 2. Disengaging a Capstan Winch after Cable Hauling
1. Upon completion of cable hauling disengage the capstan winch from the vehicle.
2. Release the ‘A’ frame by firmly pulling the handles on the capstan winch frame towards the vehicle.
3. Lift the ‘A’ frame off the vehicle tow ball.
4. Pull the locking pin out of the sleeve and remove the ‘A’ frame.
5. Store the ‘A’ frame and locking pin securely for transport.